The Board comprises seven directors:
- Chairperson: Menno Henneveld
- Electricity Industry Representative Director: Colin Smith (Synergy)
- Gas Industry Representative Director: Brent Graham (Alinta)
- Water Industry Representative Director: Karen Willis (Water Corporation)
- Customer Representative Director: Sonia McKeiver
- Customer Representative Director: Meg Anklesaria
- Customer Representative Director: Kathryn Lawrence
There are also three Alternate Directors nominated by the Industry Representative Directors to act in their place if required:
- Chris Campbell (Alinta) - alternate gas industry representative;
- Margaret Pyrchla (Western Power) - alternate electricity industry representative; and
- Ronny Flendt (Water Corporation) - alternate water industry representative.
What does the Board do?
The Board’s role and responsibilities include the oversight of the Energy and Water Ombudsman Scheme and maintenance of the independence of the Energy and Water Ombudsman. While the Ombudsman has responsibility for the day to day operation of the Scheme, it is the function of the Board to provide advice to the Ombudsman on policy matters.
Overall the Board’s role is to determine the strategic direction of the Scheme and develop, implement and monitor the strategies required to achieve the objectives of the Scheme. The Board is responsible for the formal administration of the Company, and exercises final authority in relation to the financial affairs of the company (subject to the Constitution of the Company). The Board does not become involved in the day-to-day operation of the Scheme, complaint handling or the resolution of individual complaints – that is the responsibility of the Ombudsman, with whom the Board has a service agreement.
Details of the Board’s role and responsibilities are set out in Clauses 10, 11 and 12 of the Charter.